Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Introduction to Kanopy
Kanopy is a streaming video resource with a broad collection of over 26,000 films on every subject imaginable and from leading producers such as Criterion Collection, The Great Courses, New Day Films, HBO California Newsreel, and more. Kanopy’s website makes it easy to watch, share and discuss films across campus. Check it out @ https://mwsu.kanopy.com/
Kanopy can also be accessed from the A-Z Database List here.
Tools for Kanopy
- Create A User Account: Patrons affiliated with Midwestern State University may create user accounts to personalize their viewing habits in Kanopy.
- Share A Movie Or Playlist: Copy and paste links to individual movies or playlists or embed a video into D2L.
- Closed Captions: For the small number of videos without closed captions/transcripts, a request for captioning may be sent in Kanopy. The request is usually completed within 48 hours.
- Mobile & TV Apps for Kanopy: Patrons affiliated with Midwestern State University may download the Kanopy App from Google Play Store or Apple App Store. You must create a personal account to use the Kanopy App.
- Additional tools and help for Kanopy can be found here.
Accessing Kanopy Off-Campus
Follow the directions below to access Kanopy when off-campus:
- Go to myMSUTEXAS
- Click on Login to MSU Portal in the top left hand column.
- Enter username and password to access MSU Portal.
- Click on Library Databases in left hand column.
- The page should then be redirected to the Research Databases page for Moffett Library.
- Click on the A-Z Databases link.
- Click on the K to search for Kanopy.
- Click on Kanopy.
- A new page will appear in your web browser for the Kanopy homepage.
- Go directly to Kanopy in the A-Z Databases List.
- Click on the Kanopy link.
- You will be directed to the Welcome to the MSU Remote Resource Access page.
- Enter your username and password as directed for students or faculty/staff.
- You will then be directed to the Kanopy homepage.
Troubleshooting for Kanopy
Clear HSTS (HTTP Strict Transport Security) Settings
Have you experienced any error screens while accessing Moffett Library's databases that state your connection is not private, your connection is not secure, security connection failed, or a similar message? If so, please visit the link below for more information.
Clear HSTS Settings